Broccoli with Sesame Orange Sauce
This is a broccoli dish you’ll love even if you don’t love broccoli. Even kids love it.
- 1 head of broccoli
- ½-1 tsp orange zest
- thin strips of orange rind (optional)
- ½ cup fresh orange juice (from about 1 1/2 oranges)
- orange slices from the extra ½ orange (optional)
- ¼ cup soy sauce or tamari
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- 1-2 scallions, white and light green parts only, cut into small pieces
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or grated
- 1 Tbsp fresh ginger, minced or grated
- 1/4-1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 or 2 Tbsp sesame seeds
- Break the broccoli into florets* (if you like, you can also use the stems by peeling them and then slicing them into ¼- inch pieces). Cook the broccoli (microwave or steam) for 2 minutes. Drain.
- Mix the orange juice, zest, and soy sauce in a bowl*.
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil over low-medium heat and add the scallions, garlic, ginger and red pepper flakes. Cook, just until fragrant, 1-2 minutes. Add the broccoli and sauce. Cook until the broccoli is crisp/tender or whatever texture you like best.
- Place in serving bowl and top with sesame seeds*. Top with orange slices*. You can add strips of rind if you want to impress people.
* kid-friendly step