Cold Thai Rice Salad
What to do with leftover rice? Here’s what!
- 2 cups brown rice, cooked and refrigerated
- 1-2 peeled and diced cucumbers
- 4-5 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 daikon radishes, peeled and diced
- 1 cup fresh herbs, such as Thai basil, cilantro, &/or mint, diced
Curry paste (see note)
- 1” chunk of fresh gingerroot
- 1 stalk lemongrass, outer tough leaves removed, and cut into 1” chunks
- 1 serrano or jalapeño pepper, seeded and cut into chunks
- 1 shallot (or a chunk of onion), peeled
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 3 Tbsp fish sauce
- Juice of 1 lime
Make the curry paste:
- With the motor of a food processor running, add the ginger root and lemongrass. Process until minced.
- Add the pepper and shallot, and thoroughly process again.
- Add the honey and fish sauce. Process until reasonably smooth.
- Pour the mixture into a small pot, and cook over low/medium heat until fragrant.
- Add the lime juice, and stir.
- Stir the curry sauce into the cold rice. Add the cucumbers, carrots, radishes, and herbs. Stir again.
Note: if you want an easier curry paste, you can use a jar of green curry paste and add the honey, fish sauce, and lime juice. No cooking necessary.