Grilled Broccoli with White Beans and Parmesan
This recipe is great in itself and is also a wonderful base for other ingredients. For example, you could use shrimp or salmon or scallops — or go with just the beans and broccoli themselves and enjoy it that way.
Let me give a shout-out to Parmesan. I agree that dairy fat isn’t as healthy as fats from plants. But here’s the thing about Parmesan: you get a lot of flavor bang for your delicious taste buck. That’s especially true for Parmesan that’s well aged (yay for the elderly!) A little bit of it, sliced or grated (as in the recipe that follows) goes a long way. A tablespoon of grated Parmesan has only 22 calories. If you throw a Parmesan rind into the pot while you’re making soup with vegetables or beans, you’ll be thrilled with the results. What’s more, many lactose intolerant people have no problem with aged Parmesan.
- 1 bunch of broccoli
- 1 or 2 15-oz. cans of cannellini or great northern beans, drained and rinsed (or cooked dried beans).
- 1 can anchovies (optional)
- 1 lemon
- ½-1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 Tbl extra virgin olive oil
- arugula or other greens
- Cut the broccoli in florets. Rinse and drain.
- Steam or microwave the florets for 1-2 minutes, until not quite cooked. Drain.
- Combine one tablespoon of oil with the minced garlic, and pour over the broccoli.
- Grill the broccoli over medium heat for a minute or so on each side or until you think it’s done (alternatively, you can roast the florets in a 425 degree preheated oven for ten minutes or so).
- Peel some strips of lemon peel, and then juice half of the lemon, or enough to get a tablespoon of juice. If you like, slice the other lemon half to use as a garnish.
- Peel some strips of Parmesan, and grate an additional tablespoon or so.
- Combine the lemon juice with the minced garlic and the remaining two tablespoons of olive oil.
- Arrange the arugula, beans, and broccoli on a platter. Place the anchovies (or whatever) and Parmesan strips over the top. Drizzle the lemon juice/olive oil mixture over everything. Top with the grated cheese.