Quinoa Salad with Mango, Avocado, & Pistachios
I’m usually not big a fan of quinoa. Yes, I know it’s a very healthy high-protein grain and all that, but it seems to me to have a pretty dull texture and taste. Not this salad. The flavors are so lovely and bright together.
(All amounts are pretty much made up)
- 4 cups cooked quinoa (see note)
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1-2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar (or lemon juice)
- 1 mango, chopped
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 2 Tbsp toasted pistachios (or any other nut you like)
- Pea shoots (or cilantro)
- Whisk together the olive oil and vinegar; and combine that mixture with the quinoa in a bowl or on a platter.
- Top with the mango, avocado, and pistachios. Mix again, if you like.
- Top with pea shoots or cilantro.
Note: Instead of rinsing and then boiling quinoa, I prefer to brown it in the dry pot until it’s light brown; and then I add the water. This method gives the quinoa a nuttier taste – and you don’t have to rinse it first.