Red Lentil Penne with Roasted Cauliflower
I love red lentil penne pasta, and one of my favorite uses for it is with garlicky roasted cauliflower, so let me share it with you.
- 1 package red lentil (or other) pasta
- 1 cauliflower, cut into smallish florets
- 4 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼-1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- ¼-1 can anchovies (flat or rolled)
- 1 handful of fresh spinach leaves (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Pour 1 tablespoon or so of the oil into a baking pan. Add the florets and toss to cover.
- Bake for 10 minutes, and then turn over the florets. Bake another 5-15 minutes, depending on their size, until the florets are tender and at least a little browned.
- In the meantime, cook the pasta according to the package directions; drain.
- While you’re doing that, in a separate small pot or pan, make the pasta sauce:
- Cook the remaining olive oil, garlic, pepper flakes, and anchovies over low-medium heat until the anchovies are softened and the garlic is at least softened (but not brown – burnt garlic is disgusting).
- When everything is done, put the pasta in a large bowl, toss with the sauce, and top with cauliflower and spinach.
This dish is also fabulous with cooked fish or shrimp.