The Perfect Warm Salad for When It’s Cold Out (or Not)
Let’s be honest: just how excited can you be about broccoli? This dish, closely adapted from Cook’s Country, makes broccoli exciting, indeed! And the protein-packed chickpeas make it a complete meal if you like. My daughter Nora made a fabulous vegan version of this for us, substituting nutritional yeast for the Parmesan and non-dairy yogurt for the mayonnaise.
Warm Broccoli and Chickpea Salad
- 1 ounce Parmesan cheese, grated (1/2 cup)
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tablespoon mayonnaise
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed
- ½-1 red onion, moderately-finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 11/2 pounds broccoli florets, cut into 2-inch pieces
- Whisk Parmesan, ¼ cup oil, lemon juice, garlic, mayonnaise, and pepper flakes in a large bowl. Add chickpeas and toss to combine; set aside.
- Heat 1 Tbsp oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Add onion, ¼ tsp salt & ½ tsp pepper and cook until the onion is tender and beginning to brown, 6 -8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Transfer the onion to the bowl with the chickpea mixture.
- Heat the remaining 3 Tbsp oil in the same skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Add the broccoli, and the remaining ¼ tsp salt and ½ tsp pepper. Cook until the broccoli is dark brown and crispy in spots, about 20 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes.
- Transfer the broccoli to the bowl with the chickpea mixture. Toss. Serve warm. So good.